280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather Stripping

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Weather Stripping

I looked around but there was only a few posts regarding this and most were a few years old. On the posts the parts werent available or something like that.

SO sorry if this does turn into a double post..

I'm slowly working on restoring my 1983 datsun 280zx 2+2.
Now from my research the weather stripping on this car is something of a very rare commodity.

I'm looking at replacing all of it if possible. I contacted my local Nissan dealer, and my friend there is getting my the dealerships cost on the parts they can get. But there is a lot they can't due to it not being made any more and not avab anywhere.

My question is has anyone had some luck finding it? and if not what can be done? I looked but didnt find any guides to get around the not having the parts available.

Please let me know!

I wanna bring this zx back to life the proper way.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM
The Good Twin

Yep... they are getting very rare and pricey.

2+2 T-Top:

MSA! Door Weatherstrip, On Body, Left, 79-83 280ZX 2+2, Non T-Top

MSA! Door Weatherstrip, On Body, Right, 79-83 280ZX 2+2, Non T-Top

2+2 Slick Top:

MSA! Door Weatherstrip, On Body, Left, 79-83 280ZX 2+2, With T-Top
Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 PM

yea that was one of the ones I been looking for.
any advise?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 PM

Looked at those prices and we're talkin' pure ripoff. I mean, I get it that there's not a huge market for these parts - but they cost probably 50-cents to extrude, 35-cents to shape. Another $10 to ship and stock. Z-store thinking either you must be rich if you are restoring an old Z - or you need these gaskets so bad you will pay whatever they ask. $200 apiece? Are you crazy?

I don't know what condition your weatherstrips are in - or how they are failing now, whether just letting air and noise in or leaking water really bad in windy rainstorms - but I would sure look for a way to recondition/rebuild/thicken what I have there on the car, as long as they are still flexible. There are dozens of cheap products in all colors which self-stick to home windows and doors that are leaking air or water. There must be some product out there that you can just 'add' to your weatherstripping to stop the water and air leaks without breaking the bank. Yeah, it calls for some ingenuity and inventiveness on your part (just sit and think) - and it has to either look acceptable or go unnoticed - but those prices are obscene. Like Nissan wanting $650 for a drive shaft...

In a leaky old Chevy I had in school, I took the weather strips off, glued a 1/8" thick strip of black rubber to the door jambs, and put the old gaskets back on over that. That brought the original strips out enough to contact the doors just right and stopped all the leaks.

Another solution: Rainproof car cover. You get the leaks while you're driving it - but not while it's parked overnight or on weekends

Think about it - at least - before you buy that overpriced stuff.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 PM

@zxguy1986 I completely agree with what your saying. I find it ludacris for what sites want for some of the parts.

My situtation is that I want to repair the surface rust, part of the floors and just Seal off the rest of the body before I invest in getting the car repainted.

I'm a huge fan of the zx, most people always talk about the 240, but im a huge fan of the zx and Just want to do it properly.

IS the seals re-usable?! I will post some pictures tomorrow or moday about all the seals on my car. and Maybe you guys can give some better advsice once you see what im working with