280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Dash Repair / Replacement?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Professional Dash Repair / Replacement?

Hi, are there companies that perform a professional repair or replacement of the dash? I'm not asking about dash covers or caps, but taking out the original dash, and it coming back like new? Is this santa clause stuff?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 AM
The Good Twin

There probably is a company... check your local phone book for something like "auto restoration" or "auto interior / re-upholstery".

I guarantee you will pay more for someone to restore / repair a dash than to source out an original one in good condition.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

There is a company in the Phoenix area. That will repair it for like $600-$700, if I remember correctly. Z car source, look them up. And see what they quote you at. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM

professional dash repair

try just dashes in van nuys ca i think they are btween 1000- 1500 lifetime warranty you take it out.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Here is an option if you are up to it.
http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ht=dash+repair
Old 11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Get the dash cap. They are virtually identical to the stock dash, looks fantastic and they last forever. Unless its a vintage restoration and for judging sake you need to have the original but in that case you'd just auntie up and buy a NOS one...
Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 PM

I wish I could find a NOS. I guess I'm going with a dash cap as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
Get the dash cap. They are virtually identical to the stock dash, looks fantastic and they last forever. Unless its a vintage restoration and for judging sake you need to have the original but in that case you'd just auntie up and buy a NOS one...
I had a dash cap. Loved it when I first got it. Unfortunately I found out that the florida sun can quickly warp it.

Now I just pretend the large crack in the dash gives the interior character.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here you go guys. A beautiful original black dash out of a '79 280zx. Even the stripped model, without the rear wiper. I was drooling, when I found this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by sonethirty
I had a dash cap. Loved it when I first got it. Unfortunately I found out that the florida sun can quickly warp it.

Now I just pretend the large crack in the dash gives the interior character.
Put a dash cover over the dash cap - you would need lazer beams to melt it with a dash cover. I put one on my dash when it's in the direct light to keep it from cracking. It helps keep the heat off as well. You should also use a UV protectant on both your original dash or on a cap if you have one instead. All modern plastics have UV inhibitors that come to the surface of the plastic but they tend to become depleated after about six months so just replentish with a good UV protector (eg NOT Armour All

MSA has really nice custom fit dash covers and there are a ton of places that carry UV protectants.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Damn, if that dash was brown, I'd buy it now.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM

How exactly does the dash cap work?
Does it go over the existing one or do you take the old one off?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RaTT92
How exactly does the dash cap work?
Does it go over the existing one or do you take the old one off?
I am actually going to do this relatively soon. What you want is to seal the cracks the best you can. And make sure your existing dash is pretty smooth. Then you use the glue, that comes with the dash cap. And apply the new dash cap, to your old existing one. Hope that helps. I will maybe start a thread on it. When I hopefully start it next week.

Also, the dash cap comes molded in black. So if you want to change the color. Get dupli-color vinyl interior paint. It will make it look like, it was molded in that color. Good luck man.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by nitrojunkie
Here is an option if you are up to it.
http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/s...ht=dash+repair
Could you post the pics on this thread for me? I tried to get back on that site. But they wont let me, and I can't change my password. I would like to do this on another 280zx dash I have. To prepare it for my slicktop. If you could do that, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Never mind, I finally was able to log back in to the website. Here are the pictures. I also copied and pasted the details, of what he posted with them. I am going to attempt this operation myself. Relatively soon. Sorry for the size of the pictures. But I didn't take them.

Default Dash Repair Process/Pictures
The dashboard in my car had some serious cracks along the top but I couldn't pull the trigger to send it off for rework because of the cost. I wanted to try to repair it somehow though, I had to try something!

Here's a few pictures of the cracks. Because of the limit on pictures in each post, I'll upload the balance of the pictures and the materials used after this.

Bruce

I beveled the edges of the cracks on both sides, this would enable the filling materials to get underneath the crack and have something to hold on to. I backed the cracks with simple masking tape and filled the cracks with Great Stuff, insulating foam sealant, available at Ace Hardware of course.

Here's a picture of the cracks after I sliced down the foam and the materials I used. I was concerned with all the voids in the foam. I had expected something solid but realized all those open holes would provide an excellent base for the SEM plasticized bumper repair which was applied next. I had to apply two coats of the bumper repair plastic. It was easy to work with and feather edged nicely.

After the repair areas were finish sanded, I scuff sanded the rest of the dash with 220 grit paper and cleaned the surface with SEM plastic/leather prep.

After that, I sprayed the complete dash with SEM's texture coating. I followed the directions on the can. I kept the spray nozzle approximately 20 inches from the surface and when the coating was finger dry, I knocked down the texture with scotch-brite.

I let the dash dry for 24 hours and then lightly scuffed the complete surface. I cleaned again with the plastic/leather prep and then applied two wet coats of SEM's Trim Black for my finish coat.

Here's some pictures of the finished product, it isn't perfect but it exceeded my expectations. I don't think I would have attempted this repair if the dash was in the car. Total cost was approximately $60 and maybe five hours of labor total.

Bruce
Old 12-17-2010, 01:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

And here is the rest of the pictures.

So there you have it courtesy of classiczcars.com. And the guys username "BD240Z" I just figured I would post the information here. So anybody else, could benefit from it. I am in no way, taking credit for this. I just wanted to make it easier for anybody, that wants to attempt this project. As will I, here very soon. Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I cant see any pics
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I don't know what happened. It showed me posting them. Maybe somebody on here, deleted them. I am not sure. Sorry in advance if I violated any terms. I was just being helpful. Oh well...
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I got to thinking about it, and I believe I know why the pics aren't showing. I think only members can see the pictures. And since I am a member of the website. It allowed me to see them. And then didn't post them here. Anybody else, that is not a member, cannot see them. So if you want to see the project pictures. Become a member of classiczars.com. And you will be able to see them.