280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio Install - WIRING DIAGRAM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Aftermarket Radio Install - WIRING DIAGRAM!

Ok After hearing a bunch of people having headaches with wiring up an after market radio in this Z car I decided to make this

First off, gather up everything you need before hand! Wire Crimps or Electrical tape. Wire cutters/strippers. Time, 10mm socket wrench, 2 Philips screw drivers (1 large, 1 tiny)

OK Now time to remove the kick panels, 2 screws for each side, don't forget to unhook the lights from behind! And if you have it, the vacuum switch on the drivers side

Now remove the little covers at where the radio console meets the carpet on each side (1 screw each I believe) then undo all 8 screw/bolts for the radio console that hold it in place, careful pull it forward and unhook the wires from the back!

Now go over the the passenger side foot well and unhook the radio wiring harness (bottom 2 connectors and the lost one turned sideways) and the dash speaker wire and the Warning system amplifier (both close nearby you'll find them when you have to remove it. Now take the tiny screw driver, you see the zip ties holding up the wiring? take the screw driver and wedge it inside the little clip till you can undo the zip tie.

Remove the harness simple huh?

NOW FOR THE FUN PART!

On the side of the wiring harness that went TO THE RADIO Cut off all teh connectors that went to the radio. Not the cigarette lighter! Now this is were you read my diagram from! (you can leave the antenna wire connector in place if you plan to not use it I don't and It stays down all the time and works great) OH Side note! Its simper to use ONE GROUND WIRE to power the speakers. I had one ground for front and one ground for rear, this is how I'm doing it and it works fine for me! (DON'T USE ALL 4 OR EVEN 2 GROUNDS INTO THE COMMON GROUND YOU WILL SHORT OUT SOMETHING! ONE ONLY!!!)

After you've hooked up the wire not to tackle the radio itself This part I didnt have to do as my Z car already came ready for a radio (Nice find huh!) But you can get the plate from MSA and Black Dragon, or you can fab your own.

Install everything back in, hook everything up zip tie the harness back into place and bolt everything up!

Pics soon to follow!

I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for any damages etc blah blah blah. In other words don't blame me if something goes wrong K?

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 07-26-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Edit edit edit edit edited and deleted

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 07-27-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

Anyone has any idea how to install 12/82 280zxt (1983) radio in 4/82 280zxt (1982)? Wiring wise I think...no no no I know that I messed up some wires here and there so my dome light and the lights under the dash does not come on every time door is opened.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well I think you can get the wiring harness for the 83 and it "might" plug into the 82 one. Other then that You might have to do custom wiring
Old 07-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Dunkin' Donutz

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Well I think you can get the wiring harness for the 83 and it "might" plug into the 82 one. Other then that You might have to do custom wiring
You mean the Dash wiring harness or just the radio wiring harness? I am assuming you meant radio wiring harness
Does anyone from Los Angeles know who does custom harness to get things working???
Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Yes radio wiring harness! Sorry lol And no idk anyone in that area so sorry lol
Old 07-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Ok After hearing a bunch of people having headaches with wiring up an after market radio in this Z car I decided to make this

Yes its kinda half assed as Im tired right now and my eyes are burning from spending a few hours reading the wiring diagram @.@
#7 WIRE IS WRONG IT IS THE RADIO GROUND WIRE!! THE BLACK WIRE IN WIRES #1 IS FOR THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER!

I'll probably do a "How To" On it later But for now I need to rest my eyes before the melt out of my head...
wow... could have saved a lil bit of time with this lol

nice post
Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by 280zx2by2
wow... could have saved a lil bit of time with this lol

nice post
Thanks! I'll probably end up redrawing it sense well its all fuzzy and stuff and its little wrong.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Updated and now 100% Correct!

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 07-26-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Oh great. You post this AFTER I wired in my stereo today. I had to run my own lines to the fuse box, but don't have a constant. Now I have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN, but this time I get to have it on factory lines. Not only that, though, but I already took out the power antenna and put in a new $10 one because I couldn't find the wire to operate the power one. Dang!

Seriously though, thanks, very helpful. I was looking for one all night last night.

--Ryan
Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Lol Sorry XD This was my little project for today. sucks not having a job so you find a bunch of little things to do and fix, my radio was one of them lol

And your welcome. I was looking for one too for hours then I finally just made my own
Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Speaking of power antennas... Im not sure if I under stand the diagram well but it looks like a 3 position switch. Kinda odd... I doubt you can wire that to a radio
Old 07-26-2009, 11:23 PM

Well mine is aftermarket wired in as is. 3 wires I see(OK, 4 including the actual antenna cable). One wire the guy attached to the body for ground, one, one wire going up the the stereo itself(looks factory) and one wire that once again looks factory(that or he put it through the sleeve, which most people are too lazy to do(including me!)) that is for power. Seems like it MAY work. Or I'll just leave the antenna I bought and get around to buying new antenna wire someday(read the other stereo post for why not now).

--Ryan
Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Hmm *shrugs* maybe Im not sure, but Im done messing with radio stuff for today lol
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Uh I'll be using an aftermarket wiring harness. Appears there are two different versions for the 280ZX - of course I ordered in the most common and found out I've got the odd ball one - NN02RB. That way you don't need to hack up your harness. They are pretty cheap at www.sonicelectronix.com

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 AM

i am doing the same project to my 1981 non 2+2. how different is the wiring for the non 2+2 model? also i plan to keep my old deck in place and put the new one in the glove box.
thanks!