240Z-280ZXT S30-S130 Tech Tips For 70-83 S30's & S130's

280ZX Aftermarket Radio Install - WIRING DIAGRAM!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

280ZX Aftermarket Radio Install - WIRING DIAGRAM!

Ok After hearing a bunch of people having headaches with wiring up an after market radio in this Z car I decided to make this

THERES AN ERROR WITH #7 BR. I COLORED IT BROWN IN THE DRAWING IT SHOULD BE BLACK! And I dont feel like fixing it
First off, gather up everything you need before hand! Wire Crimps or Electrical tape. Wire cutters/strippers. Time, 10mm socket wrench, 2 Philips screw drivers (1 large, 1 tiny)

OK Now time to remove the kick panels, 2 screws for each side, don't forget to unhook the lights from behind! And if you have it, the vacuum switch on the drivers side

Now remove the little covers at where the radio console meets the carpet on each side (1 screw each I believe) then undo all 8 screw/bolts for the radio console that hold it in place, careful pull it forward and unhook the wires from the back!

Now go over the the passenger side foot well and unhook the radio wiring harness (bottom 2 connectors and the lost one turned sideways) and the dash speaker wire and the Warning system amplifier (both close nearby you'll find them when you have to remove it. Now take the tiny screw driver, you see the zip ties holding up the wiring? take the screw driver and wedge it inside the little clip till you can undo the zip tie.

Remove the harness simple huh?

NOW FOR THE FUN PART!

On the side of the wiring harness that went TO THE RADIO Cut off all teh connectors that went to the radio. Not the cigarette lighter! Now this is were you read my diagram from! (you can leave the antenna wire connector in place if you plan to not use it I don't and It stays down all the time and works great) OH Side note! Its simper to use ONE GROUND WIRE to power the speakers. I had one ground for front and one ground for rear, this is how I'm doing it and it works fine for me! (DON'T USE ALL 4 OR EVEN 2 GROUNDS INTO THE COMMON GROUND YOU WILL SHORT OUT SOMETHING! ONE ONLY!!!)

After you've hooked up the wire not to tackle the radio itself This part I didnt have to do as my Z car already came ready for a radio (Nice find huh!) But you can get the plate from MSA and Black Dragon, or you can fab your own.

Install everything back in, hook everything up zip tie the harness back into place and bolt everything up!

Pics soon to follow!

I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for any damages etc blah blah blah. In other words don't blame me if something goes wrong K?

Last edited by BlueKitsune; 09-22-2009 at 12:07 PM.