240Z, 260Z, 280Z V8 Swaps Chevy / Ford / Nissan V8 Motor Swaps

wut should i do to my v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 AM

wut should i do to my v8

Ive got a 327 sb in my 240z right now, and was wondering what upgrades would be the best for it. The previous owner describes the engine as a T0I2OHC, 1965,327,250hp. Its hooked up to a 350 turbo. The guy said he would have gotten racing cams and a 700r4 tranny, but i dont know wat type of cams (hydraulic and w/e) to get. Im looking for my z to be a street car that I will race quite a bit at the track. Also, are lowering springs a good upgrade to help handling? Thanks for all your input.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Big Poppa

first thing is, does it have ignition, headers, intake, and head upgrades, you know the exterior engine stuff, the cam will make a big difference, just requires more work than the rest. the lowering springs will help, but i dont know if ones from a cataloge will be stiff enough to handle the increased weight of the chevy, you may have to custom order some in from a spring shop, but its no big deal.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 AM

I had the same setup in my old 240. 327 w/camel hump heads, block hugger headers to dual supertraps. I was running a turbo350 too. Brings back memories . I always hated the turbo350 for freeway driving but for the street it was great. The 700r4 would be a good choice for a daily driver. If you want to switch to manual, you can go with a world class T5, or a T56.

The V8 swap only weighs about 50-100lbs more than stock. You could relocate the battery to the back to compensate. If you have the money, aluminum heads will make a big difference in weight. A good set of performance springs and struts will help your handling.

If you have dual exhaust, get a x-pipe for it.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. Right now the motor has the stock heads on it, and i was wondering if I got headers/exhaust right now, and i decide to upgrade the heads, wether or not i would need new headers. Also, do you guys have any suggestions on where I can find good deals on performance heads/cams/etc? Any approximate 1/4 mile time guesses for my car? 327, 600cfm, stock exhaust. Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Taste My Rainbow

also get a alluminumn water pump, alluminumn radiator, alluminumn heads and do the battery location mod. If possible move the engine as far back towards the firewall. Doing all of this you can get the car the same weight as the stock Z. If you had a 350 then it would be a little bit heavier than the stock Z.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Big Poppa

1/4 mile right now would prolly be what 14 sec? and any head you put on there, the headers will still fit as long as there not some funky aftermarket chev head with big ports or something.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Doesn't post much...

I know exactly what you should do with your Chevy motor...

Put it back into a Chevy where it belongs!

J/K Build that sucker up!

Supercharge it and make sure it whistles loud enough that EVERYONE in a one mile radius KNOWS it's supercharged!!!

Rod.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:18 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well if I ever decided to drift away from a stock motor. I would put a v-8 out of a Titan, or a v-12 from a Lamborghini, which I know will never happen. I would be better off just getting one instead. But like I said probably never happen, because I love the good ol' L-28. And a Lamborghini Countach will never be in my car collection, except in my dreams. Like it always has been.

All aside, at least you are runnning a Vette motor, instead of the friggin' common 350 v-8. All though like I have said before, I don't like putting a totally different motor in my car. to each his own, and good luck to you on your high torque project. Because of what I have heard those Vette motors are torquy, and pack a hell of a punch!

I still am not satisfied on putting a 350 Buick motor in my Firebird. And if I could sell the motor and trans for a nice price. I would get rid of them, and get the 350 Pontiac she came with, or any other Pontiac v-8. And get the Turbohydromatic 400 tranny, that is real friggin' tough. Then I could finish one of my dream cars a Pontiac Trans Am.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 PM

Thanks for all the help. O yea, finally figured the motor out. Its a GM 3858180 and cast on L224 (dec 22, 64) Will any 700r4 fit on my 327? And how about t5 trannys, they all seem to be for mustangs. T56 seems to be out of my budget. Also, about how many hours of labor is it to put in heads and cams, and is my engine a single cam? I also wanted to get larger performance tires in the rear, but on the same rim, how much wider can i get the new tires to be? Also, can anyone provide me with a good set up for new heads (cast iron most likely for me) and cams? thanks

Last edited by Wilson_WWSC; 07-04-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Z Extreme Guy

700r4 is the only way to go asfar as im conserned mater of fact i have a fully built racing 700r4 with anti kikdown valve so you can reach higher top speeds and i have a fully built 383 stroker L98 with all the msd goodies you could ever want for it. my advice is get the 700r4 and build a moter to the hilt dont sacrifice anything you will have more fun and it will last longer. if you need any thing for the build let me know im selling all my v8 stuff including every thing i just mention. my next convertion is going to be all mopar (new) magnum.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM

Wilson - Have you pulled up Hybridz.org and spent time searching and reading there? If not, it would be well worth your time. If it's something you're thinking about doing one of the guys there has probably already done it plus you'll probably get many more good ideas.
Also - that 250 HP rating was an SAE gross back in 1964. It's probably only putting about 180-185 HP to the rear wheels in stock form. Still better than a stock L28 - especially in the torque area - but lots of room for improvement. A cam is probably one of the biggest bangs for the buck you can do but - remember - any improvement in breathing in one area requres all the other areas to be equal to it so your intake and exhaust will need to upgrade also. I wouldn't put a lot of money in a new set of headers unless you are planning on spending a lot of time over 5,000 rpm or the current headers have really small primaries.
Anyway - search and read a lot, then develop a plan that can be done in logical stages and then start spending your hard-earned money. You don't want to have to end up doing things twice like most of us have.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Taste My Rainbow

also just to let you know that the scarab came with a 327 so you can clone yours if you want.