240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Tyding up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skully
Yeah I sure can, they are 2004+ Mustang GT brakes I do believe, but I can snag a number off the casting if ya need!
BTW, since you posted that video on Youtube, we now know your voice. Kinda cool to hear the Far Frozen North accent and even more fun to actually read it in your posts. Eh?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Haha, its a bit of Canadian and a hint of whats left of my European accent, more noticeable face to face, since I still fumble for words even tho I have been speaking English for 16 years or so. Damn time flies.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 AM

Haha, its a bit of Canadian and a hint of whats left of my European accent, more noticeable face to face, since I still fumble for words even tho I have been speaking English for 16 years or so. Damn time flies.
Way cool Skully. I'm no expert at how Canadian accents vary across the country but I was wondering about some pronunciations that just didn't sound Canadian to me. I used the term "Far Frozen North" to keep it more generic.

Kind of like Henry Higgins from My Fair Lady, I have always enjoyed hearing the way people speak and how it varies from region to region.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
I have a present for you...

I saw a set like that on ebay. The # on the casting gave it up. The bore is bigger so it doesn't fit right and it is re drilled to 4 lug. I'm going to use 240sx rear rotors and the Maxima calipers. Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 AM

Once you pop you can't stop. Insulation down, 3 am, couldn't sleep, might as well...New gauges as well, and doing something with the console too, its cracked and I don't feel like buying a new one. Hopefully the insert will be brushed aluminum, housing the rest of the gauges, and some other goodies. Bay is recoated, and probably throwing the engine in after I replace the clutch and brake line that I damaged lol.
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-insulation.jpg   Tyding up!-insulation1.jpg   Tyding up!-insulation5.jpg   Tyding up!-bay.jpg   Tyding up!-dashday.jpg  

Tyding up!-dashlight.jpg   Tyding up!-console-4.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 11-23-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:16 PM

Very nice! I just love those dash caps. Great work with the sound deadening, these cars really need it too. The gauges lit up are just amazing. Engine bay refinish looks good as well. Fingers crossed the console works out.

Who needs sleep anyway? As a colleague once said, "I can sleep when I'm dead" ...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Boost gauge? por que? Are you holding out on us?
Another thing I noticed is the brake pads aren't making full contact over the face of the rotor. Dash looks awesome.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Yes throwing in my turbo motor. Dash caps are nice enough for me, I don't need to have a mint restored dash. Looks good, was cheap and easy installation. The brakes, I don't know, the wear pattern is right past the slots, so I would imagine, that is as far as they are designed to go. They work good, and stop amazing. Garage got broken into, all they took was my radio, ****ing no tunes now. Hopefully they don't come back for more ****. Gonna load up the old Lee Enfield, and sit in the garage all night lol.
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-20151124_155610.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 11-24-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Yes throwing in my turbo motor. Dash caps are nice enough for me, I don't need to have a mint restored dash. Looks good, was cheap and easy installation. The brakes, I don't know, the wear pattern is right past the slots, so I would imagine, that is as far as they are designed to go. They work good, and stop amazing. Garage got broken into, all they took was my radio, ****ing no tunes now. Hopefully they don't come back for more ****. Gonna load up the old Lee Enfield, and sit in the garage all night lol.
If it's not too late, be sure to fill any existing cracks in the dash. I'm learning the hard way the cap can sag like an old lady into the larger cracks.

Sorry about the break-in. That's a real pisser, not so much about the radio as you can always get another but having to worry about more crap, that's bad.

Yes, the Lee Enfield is a good solution, maybe better here in Arizona, one of the last bastions of the Wild West. Maybe an alarm system in the garage is another solution. Note I didn't say better ...
Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Ah I know, you can't shoot even if you get a house broken into in Canada, discharging a weapon with intent even if you have someone break into your house, will get you charged here, I am just dreaming.
Anyways. Snow is upon us, I think we got a good foot last night. The dash wasn't too too bad, it has small splits in it, but no craters if that makes sense. When I glued it down, I filled the little cracks with the glue and put the cover on top, so should be ok! But that is a good tip, I am sure most people just put it over top of everything as is, wouldn't think to fix the substrate, but makes sense when you mention it. Did you get a new carpet and from where, and how did it fit, I can't make up my mind about a vendor, so many different reviews. I was going to just put a chunk over the trans tunnel, and some floor mats, but I might get a whole front kit now that I put insulation in.

Noooo they took my welding helmet... nooooooooooooooooooo poop.

Last edited by Skully; 11-25-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Sorry about the welding helmet. Did you customize it?

Believe it or not, we can't simply shoot an intruder either. One has to be concerned that either their own or another person's life is being threatened or there's a sexual offense like a rape in progress. Only then can we shoot and even then the intent must be to stop, not kill. But I digress ...

I got my carpet kit from MSA in California. They've got quite a few varieties so I called to discuss them with one of their reps. I ended up with something like 10 pieces of cut pile that cover most the tunnel sides, floors, luggage riser, hatch area and rear strut towers. More extensive than stock as all my old cross-hatched vinyl was no longer fit for anything other than trash.

This particular kit was out of stock at the time I ordered but it was still at my door in about two weeks. It came with a spray can of adhesive and general instructions.

I got lazy and had it professionally installed as the upholsterer was doing seats, door cards, headliner, visors and other trim too. I noticed he made a few trims but he had no problems with quality and so on. I probably could have done it myself.

What I will do next is get a set of floor mats. Our driveway is 200 feet long and is not paved so lots of little pebbles end up in the footwells.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 AM

Ah ok thanks. I would go with a sectional, I think early 280z had the vinyl everywhere, but I want carpet on tunnel too. I just want the drivers/passenger cockpit and tunnel cover, the back is fine. I might have to call around to piece together a set.

Nah it wasn't a custom helmet but I was attached to it hah! It's like when you have a favorite tool.

Wrapped my exhaust manifold and put the blankie on the turbo to keep it warm in these cold times hah, the stainless "zipties" were ugh, so I just used some SS wire and wrapped it over the wrap, I think it will work ok. I have to clean the garage up a bit, its a mess, and then put this into the bay. And start wiring, and building exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-20151126_171946.jpg  
Old 12-01-2015, 06:18 AM

I think you're lucky since they didn't take your tools or turbo. As for me I have 2 dogs, and a 6 camera security system. If intruders get caught I have 5 acres and a backhoe.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by theramz
I think you're lucky since they didn't take your tools or turbo. As for me I have 2 dogs, and a 6 camera security system. If intruders get caught I have 5 acres and a backhoe.
For sure there was way more **** they could have jacked. Oh well, live and learn. I beefed up security a bit, have some motion sensors set up with an alarm in the house.

Life goes on...

Shaving and cleaning up the intake. Plug the holes, smooth it out a bit and probably get it powder coated.

Quick edit. Cut out my center console piece. Needs some fine sanding around the edges, but that will come when things are bolted in and I can see exactly how much i need to shave off. The gauges I will make small wedged shims behind them so they point towards the driver instead of straight out. Just have to cut out the shifter, and the space for cup where the old ashtray was and drill some mounting holes. Haven't decided on finish. Tossing it up between making a brushed look or doing a foamed padded vinyl cover. And yes I have to bend the little piece by the handbrake down.
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-20151130_175825.jpg   Tyding up!-20151201_202024-1.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 12-01-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Said eff it and pulled an all nighter. Got it in, just mocking things up to see how I am going to plumb piping. Start wiring all the crap in as well. Fun fun!
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-20151203_045107_001.jpg   Tyding up!-20151203_070917.jpg   Tyding up!-20151203_090327.jpg   Tyding up!-20151203_201431-1.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 12-04-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 AM

Wow your car will be ready to rock in the spring! Was the new carpet expensive?
Yeah your right about not driving it when the roads are slushy and a mess. It's dry here but I'm sure won't be long before we get pounded with snow. Happy I got new winter tires for my jeep this year. Other tires were shot. Also installed a couple of radios one ham radio and one CB radio. Lots of contacts in the CB radio long distance. Talked to a guy in New York the other day. Next week getting my chocolate lab neutered. He's going to be pissed off ha ha.
Going to take him to the dog park today let him run.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 AM

Said eff it and pulled an all nighter. Got it in, just mocking things up to see how I am going to plumb piping. Start wiring all the crap in as well. Fun fun!
Too much coffee?

At first I was wondering how you got that motor in without any help. Then I realized since it was a test fit you must not have the transmission attached.

Looking great Sir Skully.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Too much coffee?

At first I was wondering how you got that motor in without any help. Then I realized since it was a test fit you must not have the transmission attached.

Looking great Sir Skully.
@ My fellow Canadian; Carpet I am taking a chance on. Its not a molded piece, so this gives me more room to try and fit it best I can. As long as its LONGER than needed, I can trim! Hopefully its not too short. Its an Ebay seller from a forum post I looked at, seems it fits good, will see!!

yes I was caffeinated pretty good! Motor is in permanent. I didn't pull the transmission, I left it in the car. With closed doors in garage, I don't have enough room to pull the trans and motor. So I just pull the motor. Its not bad at all to do it with transmission left in the car, just have to be gentle when the input shaft starts entering the "pressure plate fingers" (not clutch fork doh), I usually get super long bolts, so the trans lines up before the shaft gets to the clutch anyways. Slides right on.

Last edited by Skully; 12-06-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 AM

The extra long bolts is a great idea! I always have muscled the trans in after which is a real pain. You have a long way to spring. I have 3 days off per week and I still can't find time for my car. I'd be out ther now but the wife wants to go Christmas shopping. The caffiene idea is also good. I can sleep at work.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:22 AM

Progress yay. Put the dash in, carpet, painted manifold and valve cover. Mounted the injectors and rail and all the sensors, ran all the wiring to the inside. Its still a mess of wires on the inside, but its all good to go, complete rewire. The headlight switch is a push pull one where the odo reset was, and I got rid of the column switch. The 4 way button is now in the cigarette lighter spot. I still have to run my new fuel lines, and got some 3" mandrel bends to start doing the downpipe and exhaust. Getting there. I am not sure what to do with the fuel tank. I know it needs a cleaning, but I am hesitant to do coating on it. Any input? Heard the coating tends to clog the pickup screen inside. If I just clean it out, will it rust out in a year lol?!
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-carpet.jpg   Tyding up!-carpet2.jpg   Tyding up!-painted.jpg   Tyding up!-yay.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Wow! That's looking very very fine my man. That's going to be a very nice ride.

Rewiring things to get rid of that combo switch is going to really pay off as far as reliability goes.

I'm very impressed with the lighting on the photos as well, really shows the detail. You must have taken some time to set up those shots, nice job.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 AM

:P the lighting is just from a light I have mounted above the bench haha.

Finished the exhaust. Downpipe was tricky as hell, not much room for 3". I wanted to keep the exhaust as high as possible from the ground, unfortunately, few 90 degree bends, but whatever, its mandrel bent, should flow good still. I need to pick a muffler, tossup between Magnaflow and Borla, I do love the way Borlas sound. Will see.

Ran out of wrap, I will wrap the wastegate pipe as well, and rewrap the downpipe all the way, I don't like the way it is.

I was ' ' this close about making just a screamer pipe for the wastegate, but thinking it would be waaaay too loud I didn't, guess I am getting old lol.
Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-dp.jpg   Tyding up!-dp2.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 12-19-2015 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM

Well, just have to finish putting in the seats, bolting in the console, and panel. I scraped my console idea, and went with something simpler and cleaner. Going to reuse as much as i can of the old plastics. Moved the brake/alternator light into the middle, since the new gauges don't have them. Boost controller in the lower part, with a USB plug as well. Also no more ERRR ERRR BZZRRR EERR door chime lol.
It runs, smooth, revvs easy and nice, no hiccups. Will see when the slush goes away!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Tyding up!-62.jpg   Tyding up!-20160324_174313_001.jpg   Tyding up!-89.jpg   Tyding up!-98.jpg  

Last edited by Skully; 03-25-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Amazing work Sir Skully. Bringing the S30 well into the 21st century. I'm hoping that someday you take a road trip to southern Arizona. Would love to see it in person. Maybe we'll meet up at a Z show...
Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 PM

Wow

All I can say is Wow!

Quick Reply: Tyding up!