240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Slow crank no start new batt/starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:27 AM

Slow crank no start new batt/starter

Hello guys i am new to the z long story short my dad and i rebuilt this 73 240z and for some reason he lost interest in it so its been sitting for 2 years i finally have a bit of money to throw into it im trying to get it running at first it would only click when trying to start so I replaced battery... i still got a clicking when turning over all lights work turn signals etc. i bench tested starter and it works but not under load so i replaced starter now ill get 2 maybe 3 turnovers and i have brand new battery i put on a all night charge maybe the battery had been on the shelf too long same thing i cleaned all corroded connections and have new terminals.... so i cant figure out why i am still getting a very slow crank SOMEONE PLEASE HELP LOL THANKS!!!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM

Welcome to the ZDriver forum.

You'll find lots of folks here who will help you in your quest.

You do get better help when it is clear you've done your own research and still can't solve your problem (not saying you haven't in this case).

You also get better help when you make it easier for us (some of us are older) to read your posts. Not using punctuation and proper letter case makes it harder to understand your message.

Get yourself the factory service manual (FSM) online at XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals - this manual will become your Z bible. It is specific to your model and in spite of the sometimes stilted English, is not hard to understand.

There is lots of information available by browsing the home page of that site as well.

------------
As I read your post I initially thought you had issues with the key switch (they have issues as the age) but once you got the new starter and it started to turn, I'm not so sure. You've done all the right things cleaning corroded connections and so on.

You can get your battery load tested for free at just about any major auto parts store.

While you've cleaned the electrical connections, check the battery cables themselves. I've seen them fray with age. They aren't very expensive to replace.

If all that's good, how long has it been since the motor has run? Could the cylinders have become gunked up over time making it hard to turn the motor? Pull the plugs and see if you can turn the motor by hand. With the plugs out it should be rather easy. If it is gunked, try adding a small squirt of something like Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn the motor slowly by hand a bit. Heck, if the motor has been sitting for a while, the oil isn't a bad idea regardless.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:32 AM

hey thanks for the response well i had battery load tested at advance auto.
i turned the engine from the crank bolt with a ratchet and it was easy as in i didn't need a long bar. I also have the FSM but I feel like a personal experience is much better i did not try taking the spark plugs out i will let you know how that goes. Thanks again!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 240z_noobie
hey thanks for the response well i had battery load tested at advance auto.
i turned the engine from the crank bolt with a ratchet and it was easy as in i didn't need a long bar. I also have the FSM but I feel like a personal experience is much better i did not try taking the spark plugs out i will let you know how that goes. Thanks again!!!
Removing the plugs eliminates any resistance due to compression, making the engine turn easier. If the engine turned easily with the plugs installed, there's no need to perform the test with the plugs removed. If you want to add some lubrication to the cylinders, yes, go ahead and remove the plugs.

If you get only two or three turns before the battery gives up, I'd still suspect the battery.