240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

RT diff mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:03 AM
Pez

RT diff mount

Had anyone found a good thread for the installation of an RT mount on the rear diff?

I have the mount and also got the energy suspension bushing to mount above it and hold the dif itself.

I found a few threads out there that had me pulling the rear stub axles out and such, but I'm trying to avoid that learning curve while it's this cold in my garage.

So far I have removed the driveshaft, the exhaust, and the crossmember... (side note, the cross member had 4 bolts, 14, 14, 14, and 15 mm... so I know the PO has been here before...)

Anyone found a good thread out there or have some advice?

Cheers...

PS, I Was able to get it started yesterday after it had not run in 8 weeks while I cleaned up the intake, the wiring and replaced the fuel rail. My kids and I were stunned how loud it was with just the naked header.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Wow, I didn't know what an RT mount was. Did a Google search and found this: TechnoVersions - Home of MeterMatch, TachMatch, Diff Mount and MotorMatch

You probably already know this but if not, I hope it helps.

Now you've got me interested as well. I'll be reinstalling my differential in a couple of weeks (I hope) and only have the stock mount.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Pez

Yea, that's the one I have. I can imagine getting the bolts through the energy suspension bushing might be a bit of a challenge.

I did find this thread to be very helpful in describing how to replace the stock mount.(though he did quite a few other things along the way)

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...end/index.html
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 AM

That's a great link. I used it extensively last year when I installed the complete Energy Suspension kit. Lots of work and I haven't even been able to drive the car yet as it is still apart for restoration.

I found a better way to get those danged spindle pins out (after I destroyed one hammering it).

I used a big stack of washers on one end so they only exposed a couple of turns of thread. Place the nut back on and tighten with a long handled tool. That will draw the pin out. You'll have to keep placing more washers on as the pin comes out. I ran out of washers and used some sockets as spacers.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Pez

Clever idea on the washers.... a buddy and I mangled mine and replaced them after.

I got the upper diff stock diff mount out today. The rubber strap was pretty cracked where the strap went around the metal studs... I was so far only able to get one of the lower mount bolts out the other is absorbing some PB blaster before I give it another go.

I have read that the energy suspension bushing on the new mount will need to be trimmed it I expect to keep the diff at the same height it was before. Will need to do some measuring.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pez
I got the upper diff stock diff mount out today. The rubber strap was pretty cracked where the strap went around the metal studs... I was so far only able to get one of the lower mount bolts out the other is absorbing some PB blaster before I give it another go.

I have read that the energy suspension bushing on the new mount will need to be trimmed it I expect to keep the diff at the same height it was before. Will need to do some measuring.
Had the same problem with the diff mount. Did the same soaking and eventually got if off by mounting it in a vise and applying an impact wrench to it. Believe it or not, this nasty looking mount cleaned up pretty well after a good sandblasting.

Don't know about the ES bushing on the RT diff mount - did have some trouble with the new ES bushings on the spindle pins though. All the other bushings in the kit fit great.
Attached Thumbnails RT diff mount-img_1460.jpg