240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 PM

New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!

Howdy.

I'm a new Z car owner. I picked up a... 76'?...(lol) 280Z a couple months back and I'm on the new years band wagon to get some work done it. There seems to be some great info on here and I appreciate everyone's previous work in restoring these cars and collecting all the information on here so that I can steal it for free and finish my car.
I've always wanted one of these and both of my brothers have had multiple Zs over the years so I'm pretty stoked to finally have one of my own.

I paid $900. it's kind of a rat. it's pretty much completely a rat... but whatever, let the HOONing commence.
I don't want to start this post with a bunch of noob questions that have already been answered all over this forum, I can definitely do my own bit of searching. But what I would like, is if anyone has any threads that have helped them out with their builds, or good information on how to not screw something up, mods that are good to do, or mods you'd wish you'd done, or just stuff you think is just good to know when owning a Z, post me a link here so I can read it. i"d sure appreciate any foresight.

pictures to come, my computer crashed last week, lost all of them and it's dark out right now.

I've done a little research so far and just bought some new rims and tires. the

rims are 4x114.3 15x8 +0

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/attac...1&d=1454305698

tires are Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50/R15

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/attac...1&d=1454305698

if anyone could comment on the correctness of these purchases, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-v1_15x8_4h_bronze_2-500x500.jpg   New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-kumho-ecsta-ast-raleigh-nc1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

I commend you for your research. If you haven't done so yet, download the fsm for free:
XenonZcar.com S130 Factory Service manuals
Datsun Service Manuals - NICOclub

As for the "mod threads", that's more specific to what mods you are wanting to do. Since you mentioned "hooning" I assume your plans are to "get moar lowe" with some tire stretch? Or do you mean drifting / street racing?

And correct, you want 4x114.3 with 0 offset.

Last edited by NismoPick; 02-01-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Mods

Nismo,

Thanks for your reply, and for the FSM. lord knows i'm gonna need that over the next month.
really i'll be daily driving this thing as soon as i get it running. I currently have a 96' f150 but i'm strapped for cash so i'm gonna sell it to fund this project. plus i've always done better work with the pressure of having to get to work in the morning. ha!
i'm no stranger to Daily Driving POSs. lol. this is just the next in a long line of projects. as for getting lowe, i don't think that's me. i'll probably get larger rears down the line, i've always liked the look of rake. even though it's no good for drifting. oh well.

as for some of the stuff i'd like to do,
i'd like to...
Purchase everything from TechnoToyTuning...
and besides that.
JDM mirrors
and a repaint.i'm definitely gonna need to paint this thing.
eventually, my plan is to swap a VK45 in with a transmission. i want the power of a V8, but i kind of like the idea of keeping it nissan. but i probably won't get to that this month. LOL.
also i'll need to replace the seats before i start driving this thing. they're pretty haggard.i'll probably start by just swapping the passenger seat to the driver side and rolling without a passenger seat for a while. it's inconvenient, but lets be honest, i'm in my twenties and... well i'm in my twenties.

the only thing i'm not looking forward to is the floor pans, I replaced the floors in a 69' bronco a few years ago so i have some experience with it. it's not overly difficult, i'm just not looking forward too it. the passenger side frame rail will need to be replaced as well. any details on that would be appreciated.

thanks

Josh.
Attached Thumbnails New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-img_5538.jpg   New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-img_5542.jpg   New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-img_5539.jpg   New Z Car Owner! Looking for Advice!-img_5543.jpg