240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New & in Need of some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 PM

New & in Need of some advice

Hey zdriver forums I'm new to the whole Datsun scene. I've dabbled in restoration projects wih my cousin we've fixed up a supra,a couple EF's and EG's and we've flipped them. But now Im trying to have my own personal car that i could be proud of rebuilding. And since I love JDM and Muscle and Classics. I've decided on buying a 240Z I'm going to buy a rolling shell and look for an l28 engine and tranny (at my local junkyard) most likely from a 280 and drop it in there. What I need advice on is how I should go about organizing everything. I know having a budget is important. But I don't really need to drive the car atm because I use public transportation for legal reasons at the moment. So should I focus on patching up the rusted areas and repainted everything? The car is selling for about 700$ in probably 6/10 condition.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

- Francis
P.s I hope to be more active and updating once I get the Z
Old 02-21-2015, 11:40 AM

Welcome to ZDriver!

Great idea you have there and lots of good work to do on your first Z...no doubt. First, you have to find the right one. Not so easy because a good inspection is what you need right away. Hard to do that with a no-motor/ not-running Z - but not impossible. You need to get inside, under and all over it to see what the rust situation is. (Some kinds of rust are no sweat - other kinds are a deal-killer) Guys here will probably not want to comment without your inspection photos posted here. Lots of photos, all over the Z. But they do know their Zs and will point you in the right direction. Be ready for some plain talk here when those photos are up. There are a lot of S30s out there, even more as the prices rise... Without photos, we all get to blow some hot air.

Check out XenonS30 for a free factory service manual and other cool docs. Great to begin with the right instructions in hand.

To post photos, sign in, click Post Reply, click on that little paper clip to the right of the smiley face at the top of the text space, locate your photos, click Upload, click Submit Reply, you’re done!

Welcome again and, for a start, we look forward to seeing your hot prospect Zs here! Thanks.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 02-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Welcome to ZDriver!

Great idea you have there and lots of good work to do on your first Z...no doubt. First, you have to find the right one. Not so easy because a good inspection is what you need right away. Hard to do that with a no-motor/ not-running Z - but not impossible. You need to get inside, under and all over it to see what the rust situation is. (Some kinds of rust are no sweat - other kinds are a deal-killer) Guys here will probably not want to comment without your inspection photos posted here. Lots of photos, all over the Z. But they do know their Zs and will point you in the right direction. Be ready for some plain talk here when those photos are up. There are a lot of S30s out there, even more as the prices rise... Without photos, we all get to blow some hot air.

Check out XenonS30 for a free factory service manual and other cool docs. Great to begin with the right instructions in hand.

To post photos, sign in, click Post Reply, click on that little paper clip to the right of the smiley face at the top of the text space, locate your photos, click Upload, click Submit Reply, you’re done!

Welcome again and, for a start, we look forward to seeing your hot prospect Zs here! Thanks.
Thanks a lot for replying, I appefiate it. Well the meet up with the guy didn't go to well which is a bummer so atm I'll just be saving some money and looking for a shell or engine for my 'future' Z! I'm rally excited to be apart of This community btw, and thanks for pointing my in the right direction. I'll search around the forums and Be more active. Ill be uploading photos to a new thread as soon as Im lucky enough to grab a Z!
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

You're welcome. You will probably find the highest S30 prices around on Ebay - but it may be a runner - which means someone put a lot of work into it already.

Craigslist is a better search place - and you can actually search nearby cities and states on Craig's, every state in the country if you want. Then there's your local newspapers and mags. Nobody is junking S30s any more, not anywhere, so they will show up eventually, in every condition imaginable. Good luck

Last edited by zxguy1986; 02-21-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 PM

Hey, if you're still considering doing this, I've tried to document as much of my '71 240Z rebuild as I have time. (I still have 2,400+ photos to go thru).
WoodWorkerB.com. Hope it helps.