240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New to Datsuns: Looking for a project car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 AM

New to Datsuns: Looking for a project car

Howdy guys, so I've been looking at a datsun for quite some time now and I think I've found one I like: 1975 Datsun 280z must sell this week

What do y'all think? I going to look at it tomorrow. Guy says he's flexible on the price too.

This will be a project for my dad and I to work on this summer mostly since I'm in school in College Station right now.

The owner says there's a small hole in the floorpan and he doesn't have a key to try and start it. What should I be cautious of?
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Pez

Originally Posted by gig_em_agZ
Howdy guys, so I've been looking at a datsun for quite some time now and I think I've found one I like: 1975 Datsun 280z must sell this week

What do y'all think? I going to look at it tomorrow. Guy says he's flexible on the price too.

This will be a project for my dad and I to work on this summer mostly since I'm in school in College Station right now.

The owner says there's a small hole in the floorpan and he doesn't have a key to try and start it. What should I be cautious of?
The price seems good, but would want to know why it isn't running... IMHO, 'nearly complete' and 'not running' are somewhat contradictory terms. My car is nowhere near complete and it runs well.

I would check for rust in the floor pans, rust by the battery compartment... Ask the guy what he thinks it will take to get it running and see if you get a good vibe from him... then offer him $300 for it :-)

good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:11 PM

I'd be very cautious. It really depends on what your goals are if this is a decent deal or not.

Even though the photos are small and not very comprehensive (no engine bay photos), there are hints of major rust issues.

No bumpers either. They are expensive to replace. I chose to go with no bumpers on mine. Took some body work to make it look good without bumpers.

Given there's already a hole in the floor, take your screwdriver with you and see if the rockers are solid. Check the frame rails underneath as well. The rails on one of my cars rusted through at the front sway bar, check there too.

I think the owner was saying it was purchased as part of a storage locker sale so, there's no history.

Check the oil and the coolant.

Pez suggested $300. At that price you could probably make some money by just parting it out, even if the motor is blown.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pez
The price seems good, but would want to know why it isn't running... IMHO, 'nearly complete' and 'not running' are somewhat contradictory terms. My car is nowhere near complete and it runs well.

I would check for rust in the floor pans, rust by the battery compartment... Ask the guy what he thinks it will take to get it running and see if you get a good vibe from him... then offer him $300 for it :-)

good luck.
I texted the guy and he said he really didn't know if it would start since he didn't have the key to try to start it.

I'll definitely be taking a screw driver and poking around every where to check for rust.

I'll start him off low and see what kind of deals I can get out of him!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Well Mister Aggie, seems the listing for that car is gone. Did you buy it? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Well Mister Aggie, seems the listing for that car is gone. Did you buy it? Inquiring minds want to know!
That's a negative ghost rider. Unfortunately I never even got to look at the car! Guy sold it before I could get home from school to go see it, so I'm still on the lookout for a good Z!

In other news I just saw a very clean looking brownish s30 in College Station while driving back from a friends house. I wonder if the driver is on this forum?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 PM

That's a negative ghost rider. Unfortunately I never even got to look at the car! Guy sold it before I could get home from school to go see it, so I'm still on the lookout for a good Z!

In other news I just saw a very clean looking brownish s30 in College Station while driving back from a friends house. I wonder if the driver is on this forum?
Well, sorry you didn't get a chance at it, it must not have been meant to be.

Ah the "brownish s30", a typical color from the "malaise years" of auto production. Take a look at this UGLY velour seat left from the '70s ...

Old 02-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Well, sorry you didn't get a chance at it, it must not have been meant to be.

Ah the "brownish s30", a typical color from the "malaise years" of auto production. Take a look at this UGLY velour seat left from the '70s ...

EW. Haha, why did anyone ever think that looked good?! By the way I love that dark red color. Whats it called?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 AM

EW. Haha, why did anyone ever think that looked good?! By the way I love that dark red color. Whats it called?
Looked good? That was the era when people thought afro hair (take a look at American Hustle or even my college graduation picture), velour leisure suits (blech) and so on looked good. You should see the TV commercial for the 260Z (find it on YouTube). I agree, why oh why?

Good thing the body of the Z was designed in the late '60s.

Thanks for the color comment. That paint isn't captured well by the camera very well either. In full sun it is full of pearl and when you get closer it looks very deep with blues and purples in it.

We got that off a Lexus, it's called Crystal Crimson Shine. On a Toyota it's called Riviera Red. The paint code is 3S8.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 02-03-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the color comment. That paint isn't captured well by the camera very well either. In full sun it is full of pearl and when you get closer it looks very deep with blues and purples in it.

We got that off a Lexus, it's called Crystal Crimson Shine. On a Toyota it's called Riviera Red. The paint code is 3S8.
Wow, I bet thats gorgeous in person! Definitely going to write that color code down. I like it, would you mind if I copied your Z in the future?

I really like the look of a GTR silver or that pearlish/metallic white that subaru does as well.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Wow, I bet thats gorgeous in person! Definitely going to write that color code down. I like it, would you mind if I copied your Z in the future?

I really like the look of a GTR silver or that pearlish/metallic white that subaru does as well.
No problem, there are a few Lexus and Toyota cars running around with that color as well.

I was also looking at one of the metallic burnt orange colors that are on C6 Corvettes. It was not too flashy but updated and still paid some homage to one of the original Z colors, Mexican Hat Orange. I hated that color BTW but the new orange is much better.