240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Just got a 1973 datsun 240z from my grandpa... where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Just got a 1973 datsun 240z from my grandpa... where to start?

Hey guys! This is my first post here, I just finally convinced my grandfather to let me rescue his 1973 Datsun 240z.

He was the original owner and bought the car brand new from a Datsun store in upper Michigan. The vehicle right now has just over 82k on it, however for the last 10-15 years the car has been sitting in his pull barn covered up without being driven.

The body of the car is in great shape, the interior is still in pretty good shape especially considering the year, however the brakes are completely shot. Also the stock clutch is stuck to the ground.

I currently have a 1992 300zx TT that I have been working on and modifying for over 5 years and have always had some type of project car whether is was my fathers 66 chevelle ss or my first 1999 Honda civic si. so I like to believe that I can do most of the work myself as I have always been pretty mechanically inclined.

The reason I am in this forum is because a forum has always been the best way for me to learn about a specific car. so I figured this was the best place to start.

really I just want to know what you guys think about how the car looks and from my description how much work you guys think its going to take to get the car back to driving condition. my grandfather said that when he sprayed some oil in the carbs he was able to get the engine to turn over but the brakes and clutch have kept it from being driven.

Also any typical things to keep on the lookout for with the s30 as well as the best place to source parts would be appreciated.

I am located in the central New Jersey Area so if there are any shops or members with expertise in the area let me know bc I plan to bring the car back to life and I know it will be a long process with lots of questions.

here are a few pics to give you an idea of the condition. the last picture was how it sat for over 10 years
Attached Thumbnails Just got a 1973 datsun 240z from my grandpa... where to start?-mydat.jpg   Just got a 1973 datsun 240z from my grandpa... where to start?-mydat2.jpg   Just got a 1973 datsun 240z from my grandpa... where to start?-mydat3.jpeg  
Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

nice. My grandpa could have left me his Model A but died before I could plead for it. Any way just put in new clutch hydraulics and new brake master cylinder. wheel cylinders could be okay but if no workee change them also. if the clutch plate is welded to the flywheel you might have to drop the tranny (needs new fluid anyway.) the S30 is pretty basic mechanically and electrically
Old 11-26-2015, 08:54 AM

rogerz is on the money. You need to thank your gramps over and over again.

The only scary thing is this is a Michigan car. My parts car is from Michigan and it's a basket case, even Fred Flinstone wouldn't drive it. That said, it looks from your photos that this car might have been a Summer car and stored in the Winter. Do check thoroughly for rust cancer as these cars are mighty prone to this disease. I see you're in New Jersey so you probably have experience with this as well. Rockers, floor pans, dog legs, rear quarters and so on should be checked. Since Gramps is the only owner so far, you've got a great resource for history.

Get yourself the factory service manual for this model year. "xenons30.com" has them on their web-site. Read that manual over and over. It's chock full of information. Sometimes it is a little difficult to understand but most of what you need to know is in there. The rest you can search the Z car forums (this and several others) for info. Most likely someone else has already asked your question. If not, ask away. Folks here are ready to help those who have done their homework and are stuck.

When you do ask a question, be specific. Tell us what you've already done and of course the year and configuration of your car. Sounds like you've got skills and tools so have at it.

Wow, what a great looking car. You really lucked out.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:07 PM

That is a really beautiful car. You got amazing lucky.
Do you plan on modifying or staying stock with it?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:40 AM

Look in my signature for links. There are plenty of useful sites out there.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:59 AM

I cant really decide if I want to restore it back to 100% original or not. At the very least I am going to be putting a front and rear spoiler on it and a set of wheels and tires.

One part of me wants to redo the car with the original engine and trans. but the other part of me wants to go the route of a fuel injected SR20DET platform.

Regardless, it is going to be a long term project, and im just afraid that the stock engine isn't going to provide enough power to satisfy me.

So in the meantime im going to focus on body and suspension and start gathering parts.... thanks for all the input guys
Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Beautiful car. If it was mine, I would restore it to original. I love modifying things, but this would not get touched, especially if it was in the family. I would say, get it cleaned up, check for rust and corrosion in usual spots. Keep it running good, and keep it like it is. Good luck and have fun, that is a gem.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:41 PM

What kind of spoiler are you thinking about putting on the back?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 AM
I have a present for you...

I would leave it stock since it is worth more that way. Find the correct hub caps if you don't already have them. Matching #s, original owner/paint, little to no rust, low miles, easy $10k. Stock cars are boring so if you must just do suspension, bushings, the usual tune and repairs. Save the old wheels and hubcaps.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by theramz
I would leave it stock since it is worth more that way. Find the correct hub caps if you don't already have them. Matching #s, original owner/paint, little to no rust, low miles, easy $10k. Stock cars are boring so if you must just do suspension, bushings, the usual tune and repairs. Save the old wheels and hubcaps.

I do have the stock hubcaps, but I'm going to go with a Panaspot/Wantanabe type wheel, probably 16" or maybe 17" at the max. with proper tire sizes. I have always been a fan of a clean and functional vehicle. I took that route with my z32, and think it is going in the right direction. it took awhile to learn, but its all about sourcing the right parts the first time and investing money to do things the right way, so they don't need to be done a second time.

The fact that this is a numbers matching car will always force me to keep any stock/oem parts and never modify the car to a point where it can't be returned to original.

The body will remain original besides a JDM style front and rear spoiler. But first I need to get some time away from the Nissan dealership (work) to put some work in on getting the clutch and brakes working.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Lucky you! My father left me a dented up 94 Dodge Intrepid which I then gave to my son and he hydro-locked the engine driving through water a few months later. I suggest Rota RB Wheels - 16x7 Rota RB Wheels 4x114 3 Hyper Black Rims ET4MM Fits Datsun 240Z 260z 280z | eBay
I bought a set of 16's for my 280z and they look great! They give it a Panasport style look that keeps the car looking retro. 235/60/16 fit fine with room to spare. You might also plan on 1" lowering springs if you don't want to see the gap. 16" is slightly modern looking, but I wouldn't go 17" unless you want to really change the original look. Stick with carbs instead of fuel injection. Easier to modify for more power and less hassle. Get the restoring your Datsun Z Car book if you decide to restore it. Easy $20k+ car then. A $10k 240z in northern CA is a basket case. Butchered and modified cars aren't worth much. If you remove anything original just for personal taste, save it.