240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Early 240z production number is really low. Worth resto?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Early 240z production number is really low. Worth resto?

Being thrown into a new Z search "not on my accord". My local guru I posted before about had a defunked Datsun Dealer and formally ran with Paul Newman and the scca series. We swapped parts n cars but there is a car coming to mind several times. A very early 240 vin shows it is a 10-13 forget exactly on its production. Rust free and in bits. Litterly hanging from rafters in his building. Not sure if that means ANYTHING in Japanese collectables? Also a forgotten 84 300zx with 4000 miles sent to him by Nissan for being built for scca competition. No title was a promotional car was never done since Nissan cut the purse strings? There are 5 race ready cars #88,#47 and 3 in blank white. #88 was used in a Daytona 24 hr race?? I can get the 240 for $9000.00 with a crate competition engine Transmission from 1973. Not sure if it was Nismo or if the scca class had private engine builders with Nissan sponsorship. I'm talking to him now but is eccentric about opening the building for pictures. Not sure If I should invest in one of these cars or they are old history and should be left to rot?
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Wow, that's a lot of words all jumbled together. Kind of hard to make sense of all that...

Being thrown into a new Z search "not on my accord".
OK, I think you mean you didn't initiate all this.

My local guru I posted before about had a defunked Datsun Dealer and formally ran with Paul Newman and the scca series. We swapped parts n cars but there is a car coming to mind several times. I think you're trying to say you've posted before about some other "stuff" but now you are remembering your "guru" has what might be an interesting car...

A very early 240 vin shows it is a 10-13 forget exactly on its production. Rust free and in bits. Litterly hanging from rafters in his building. Not sure if that means ANYTHING in Japanese collectables? Your guru has a 240 with a serial number in the ten to thirteen range. It is disassembled but rust free, "hanging from rafters" somewhere and you want to know if it might have value. Is this a complete car? Other than "rust free", what is its condition?

Also a forgotten 84 300zx with 4000 miles sent to him by Nissan for being built for scca competition. No title was a promotional car was never done since Nissan cut the purse strings? OK, what's the point here?

There are 5 race ready cars #88,#47 and 3 in blank white. #88 was used in a Daytona 24 hr race?? What kind of cars are these? You've already written about a 240Z and a 300ZX...

I can get the 240 for $9000.00 with a crate competition engine Transmission from 1973. Not sure if it was Nismo or if the scca class had private engine builders with Nissan sponsorship. Assuming we are now referring to the 240 you originally mentioned as possibly having an early serial number.

I'm talking to him now but is eccentric about opening the building for pictures. Not sure If I should invest in one of these cars or they are old history and should be left to rot? This is really up to you sir. You haven't mentioned what the prices would be for the other cars or have provided ANY tangible information that would help anyone give you advice.

You can check the valuation tool on the Hagerty Insurance web-site to see what a pristine early 240Z might bring. IMHO, nine big ones seems like a lot for a car that's in pieces, but, you really haven't told us enough to make a more detailed assessment.

I suggest you take some time to compose a posting that's a little more understandable and informative, then we'll really dig in and help.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 PM

Sorry on mobile. Looks legible on my end Could not get prices on the Scca cars yet. Not sure if there is any market for them. Know the car would need recertification.
Would be a neat thing to own. Trailer and old Ford haul truck are still there.

The 300zx would be for sale. Technically Nissan still owns it and should of been scrapped out. But after 30+ years not sure if I could do anything with it.

What I would love is to get in contact with a expert to see if anything would be a true find. We have around 20k know I can find perfection with that price but maybe make some cash on one of his.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 AM

Yes a bit over excited. Got cash burning in my pocket and a open minded wife.

1. The 240. The body is suspended in the air. Fully sandblasted. Surface rust due to not being painted. Engine and transmission were built by his team around 1973. In a box with transmission. Rear-end and suspension are in a box with the steering box and front suspension. With cross members. Glass is on racks. Front clip and rest of the body panels are stacked neatly on a shelf. Working harness and fuel tank are in a pack rat Pyle in a corner. $9000.00 firm but as stated vin is under 20 of the first built.

2. Would it be worth owning a race prepped Scca car? Or are these junk in re-sale. Thinking of making an offer to buy truck , trailer and 1 car 78 280z and no not just a roll cage in a stock car. Firewall , Rockers , wheel wells were cut out and rebuilt and reinforced. Car wheel base is 9 inches wider than stock. Has fiberglass panels and fuel cell. Last ran 1980. Package deal I was thinking 20k? Not sure what to spend.

3. Shady here but there is a few junk 300zx in the barn could chop the vin out and run it. Illegal but should see the car.

Or my fourth option is to just go on eBay and find a restored Z.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Wow, that's much more clear. Sorry I kind of pushed on you, I certainly understand the excitement. I've even been a little introspective that I couldn't understand your initial posts because I'm not familiar with some of the stuff you're considering (like SCCA cars).

The early 240Z, fully restored to as close to original as you can get, is likely worth somewhere in the high $20K range and maybe even low $30Ks. You'll have to find the right buyer to get that kind of money but by the time you finish a full restoration, prices are likely to be even higher. These cars are starting to come into their own as far as being collectible goes. At $9K, I think the owner knows what he's got and is pricing accordingly.

Can't really give you much information on the SCCA stuff but I think you might be able to find some SCCA-specific forums and ask there.

As far as the 300ZX goes, I think you've got some options there. If Nissan abandoned that car many many years ago, you can most likely get a title on it after jumping through a few hoops. The car I'm currently restoring had no title and I was able to eventually get one by going through a "process" with my state's motor vehicle folk. Your state is going to have a different way of doing things so I suggest you visit, call, or just do an Internet search about getting a title to a vehicle in PA. Once you know what it takes, you might be able to make a good deal for the car and best of all, be completely legal. Try this link as an example: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ts/fs-davp.pdf

Yes, you could go on eBay and find a restored Z as well. It really depends on what you want to do with your time. Do you want a project and have lots of time to devote? You'll certainly be proud of your effort. Or, are you impatient and want to drive NOW?

I don't know how much money you've got but it's often the case where more than one item is being sold and there's a "firm" price on a piece, there's more room to negotiate a package deal.

Sounds like you've got lots to think about.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 06-17-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 PM

Went down today with the guy my mother is seeing "Restores corvette's/Chevelle's". Got hit with reality. The 240 was sand blasted and from what he can tell on the doors they are wavy and been damaged. Cant get the car down until its bought. But if the roof and rear quarters are just as bad it will need extensive repair. PPG paint alone is going to be a few grand. Then every fastener. Every seal,gasket. Most likely the pre-lube in the engine is dried out. So that would be needed to be torn down. Fuel pump and lines, Brake lines and master cylinder. wireing harness would need tested. Then a total interior since the original is roached. For him to do it with 0 labor still 25/30 grand.

The package deal also is dead.Guy wants $28k, 1977 Crew cab Chevy dully 78,000 miles.
Carb,fuel tank, 6 tires and spare, brake lines, fuel lines, radiator, all radiator hoses, Brakes all way around,A/C tested repaired. $1500-$2000

26ft fifth wheel trailer. Brakes, Brake lines,generator rebuild.
Need estimates. Rv style generator.

The #88 car. Fiber glass cracks every where tiny but would grow. 4 new tires. Is not a scca car. Can-am car. Different class hard to say track to track what tech inspections it would need.

So looks like its off to e-bay. Been up in the air for years about the cars. But as my step-daddy has said. There is a reason its been sitting their for 40 years. Plus it all has sat way too long. Still kinda sad seeing it all sitting there in a inch of dust. Forgive me watched 'Brave little toaster" way to many times as a child.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Well, sounds like your Mom's BF did you a favor. I think the cost description is accurate as that's in the area of what I've already put in my restoration (a labor of love, not finance BTW).

Probably good to walk away since seller is also being less than forthcoming.

In addition to eBay, call up the Presidents of local Z clubs. As members get older, they are often ready to give up their well-cared-for cars in a private sale. I've seen it happen twice in the last year with the Tucson club.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Yes thanks for the help. Ill look into clubs. The guy also has some 280zx cars that can be had for around 6k. In total there is maybe 100+ cars in the buildings. But I am in the same boat as your son-in-law. 32 with a 3 month old daughter. Our T-top car was recently stolen/wrecked. So wife wants one more. "Rick" that came along today suggested a C3 vette or 70s F-body if I want to intelligently invest. But were currently looking for a 280z/zx 2+2. Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:28 PM

"Rick" has some good financial advice. However, if wifey wants another Z car, that's the way to go. Sometimes your heart has to lead your wallet. Good luck sir.