240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

77 280Z Fan clutch

Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM

77 280Z Fan clutch

Hi I have a 77 280Z that I have been restoring after it has sat in my parent's garage for about 15 years. I have gotten it up and running but my fan clutch is not working properly. So I did the sensible thing and replaced it. I got a Hayden brand fan clutch and the clutch would only engage sometimes when the car got hot. Seemed mostly to not engage while driving and car was heating up. So I thought well bad luck I'll get another one. I bought a Aisin fan clutch and now this one won't engage at all. I don't know if I should go buy a third one or what my issue is. My mechanic suggested a fan clutch eliminator but I know that isn't the best fix but if it would solve my problem I'm not opposed especially in Arizona. If that is my best route where can I get one that will fit my Z. Also, I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, both radiator hoses, and had the radiator cleaned out by a shop. My last question is my clokc and radio always reset when I turn my car off does anyone know what might be causing this? Again, thanks for any help provided.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wahlnutz
My last question is my clokc and radio always reset when I turn my car off does anyone know what might be causing this? Again, thanks for any help provided.
First of all, welcome to ZDriver! There are bunch of great folks here who have plenty of experience and will help you out a lot. Just be clear stating your problems and respond when they ask you for more information.

Sorry, can't help you with the fan clutch stuff but the clock and radio reset should be straightforward.

The factory clock is supposed to be wired to a +12V line that is always powered. I'm guessing though that because you said it resets, you're talking about a clock built into an aftermarket (i.e. modern) radio.

This type of radio should have two power inputs. One is always on and is used to provide a trickle charge which keeps the clock running as well as the radio's memory alive. The other input is switched on when the key isvin the accessory and ignition position and actually runs the radio. I'm guessing the trickle charge input isn't there for some reason. Either a PO never bothered to hook it up, there's a fuse blown or some other reason. You're going to have to dig a bit deeper to solve that but again, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:15 PM

Well the standard radio in the 280z cars. So to be more specific on this problem. So when I go for a drive the radio starts at 560 am give or take. I usually change it to an FM station. I get out turn off the car and then get back in and it starts off on 560am again. The clock on the radio does the same thing. Starts at 1:00 am go for a 10 minute drive and then get back in and again its at 1:00am.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wahlnutz
Well the standard radio in the 280z cars. So to be more specific on this problem. So when I go for a drive the radio starts at 560 am give or take. I usually change it to an FM station. I get out turn off the car and then get back in and it starts off on 560am again. The clock on the radio does the same thing. Starts at 1:00 am go for a 10 minute drive and then get back in and again its at 1:00am.
Still sounds like the same problem I described even though it's an original radio. You need constant power to run the clock and keep the tuning settings. All you have is the switched power. You must have two power inputs. I think the FSM does have a section on this for your radio.