240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Performance head with stock injectors?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Performance head with stock injectors?

I am buying a new set of stock 280z injectors for my stock 1975 280z and wonder if they can be used on a performance head with higher compression and bigger than stock cam? I plan on upgrading the stock head at some point in time. Would I need to upgrade the injectors also? Thanks....
Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 PM
The Good Twin

Some people use turbo injectors on the n/a, really just depends on your fuel needs. An aftermarket fuel control unit is a great idea once you start doing a lot of mods (i.e. Megasquirt)
Old 11-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Ok, I'm new to Z's and have never dealt with FI. Most of my classics have been with carbs. I need to do some research on performance gains for my 75 stock 280z. I was thinking head work and exhaust. Maybe I can get a performance head with cam etc that is bolt on leaving the bottom end stock. I know I need more compression but it would be nice to get maybe 50-70 more HP with a good head and exhaust system? Any ideas out there? Cost? Vendors?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:29 PM
The Good Twin

Where are you sourcing this "performance head" from?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Where are you sourcing this "performance head" from?

That's what I am asking. I don't have a source for rebuilt performance parts if there are any. I was hoping there are either aftermarket heads or ???? Rather than sending out my head to be rebuilt.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 AM

If you're having an issue with $80 for a used FSM, why are you asking about performance heads?

What condition is the car in? How are the brakes, bushings, struts, coils, and body?
Get all of the safety stuff in good shape before trying to get more power out of the car. You'll get to enjoy the car (and possibly even your life) for much longer.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Because I know the motor is original with 138,000 miles and blows blue smoke. Compression ranges from 147 to 158. Pretty certain it needs cylinders bored, new pistons and rings, crank turned, new bearings. If I go to all that trouble, why not do the top end also?

Currently working on safety equipment. Brakes are newer, rack needs new mount bushings on order, alignment will be next. May need shocks and all suspension bushings but that can wait as nothing outrageously bad.

Still looking for a fair price on the manual.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM
The Good Twin

#1: Please download the FSM. A hard copy is great, but you don't have to wait for it to ship before doing research. The PDF version is just as good...
-Downloadable zip file: XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals
-Online PDF's: Datsun Service Manuals - NICOclub

Originally Posted by Ken Smith
Because I know the motor is original with 138,000 miles and blows blue smoke. Compression ranges from 147 to 158. Pretty certain it needs cylinders bored, new pistons and rings, crank turned, new bearings. If I go to all that trouble, why not do the top end also?
Tear down and check all the tolerances before assuming every part of the engine needs to be replaced (unless you have thousands of dollars just burning holes in your pockets). You don't need to bore the cylinders for a basic rebuild, nor crank turned unless there's a spun bearing. Lots of these things are basics... hopefully some good reading will help you form a better understanding of this process.

As for a "performance cylinder head", Rebello is probably the only official place that would sell an install-ready performance head, and it would probably $2k-$4k. Or you could just take your head to a local machine shop and have the work done for a few hundred.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM

So you think my cylinder compression readings of 147 to 158 are in line for my N47 block with N47 head? Any forum members know of a good Datsun mechanic in the Sacramento, CA area? Thanks!!!!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
#1: Please download the FSM. A hard copy is great, but you don't have to wait for it to ship before doing research. The PDF version is just as good...
-Downloadable zip file: XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals
-Online PDF's: Datsun Service Manuals - NICOclub
I've found the PDF versions very useful and certainly worth the cost of $0. Rather that grub up a full printed version by using it in the shop/garage/shade tree or whatever, I just print out the pages I need for a particular job and don't worry about messing them up. I'll mark on them, get grease on them, whatever - no problem!

For those of us with aging eyeballs (or is that our arms getting shorter .. ), the electronic version can be easily magnified. Very useful when trying to follow the whole car wiring diagram or look carefully at some of those more intricate line drawings.

The other thing I did was take the electronic version and print it out double sided. It's been three-hole punched and placed in a binder with dividers. Very nice and cost much less than $80. That's useful in the house while I'm cogitating a plan of attack for a particular job. Also good reading material when it's difficult to fall asleep.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 AM

I did download the pdf last week but I hate scrolling and trying to find things. I like shop manuals since you can be at the car while reading and looking at the diagrams. I did find a used copy on ebay so I will hopefully get it within a week. It was only $39.00.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Print out the sections you need for what you're working on. You can use a 3 ring binder to hold the pages. If the pages get greasy, reprint the pages that are too dirty to read.