240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Clutch won't bleed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:21 PM

Exclamation Clutch won't bleed

Hey guys, I tried bleeding my clutch as per the FSM.. No luck. I am just wondering where I go from here. I was planning on ordering some parts tonight. Do I need a new master cylinder? Or should I be trying something else? Can I blow the line out with compressed air?

If you were wondering, I put fresh fluid in, had someone push the pedal down and hold. I tightened the bleed screw and had them let off (pedal springs back without any resistance). Did this 5 or 6 times. Have absolutely nothing coming out of the bleed screw and the pedal still goes right to the floor with no resistance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

Hmm ... a clogged line comes to mind, a clogged bleeder valve could also be the problem. Then of course it could the the master clutch cylinder as well. Finally, the slave cylinder could have the clog too. If your pedal is going to the floor with no resistance, most likely (IMHO) it's the master cylinder - or a leak ... But, if you want to eliminate all other possibilities first and not spend money you didn't have too, follow this.

The easiest thing to check first is the bleeder valve. Just remove it and inspect. Blow it clean with some brake parts cleaner. If it doesn't clean up, you can get those at the auto parts store.

I'd then disconnect the hydraulic line at the slave cylinder and see if I can get some fluid to flow. If you do, then I'd suspect a problem with the slave cylinder. Simply remove, clean and inspect. Easy and not too expensive to get a new one.

If it's not the slave cyclinder, it's not too hard to disconnect the hydraulic line at the master and run some compressed air through it. Be sure to protect your paint at each end. Once you get air going through, again, clean the innards with brake parts cleaner and blow it dry. If it is clogged you can try soaking with something like PB Blaster. I had a problem with one of my lines and ended up threading some 14 gauge copper wire (sacrificed some electrical ROMEX for that) through it until I cleared the clog. Kind of like a roto-rooter. Once clear, be sure you get ALL the PB Blaster stuff out with lots of brake parts cleaner. If you can't clear the clog, time for a visit to the auto parts store for some line and lessons on bending and making double flares.

If your line was clear, now that the master cylinder is disconnected, you could try pumping it and see if you get anything coming out. Again, protect your paint! If nothing comes out, I'd pull the cylinder, clean and inspect. They can be rebuilt but really aren't all that expensive to replace.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 01-29-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks a lot! You are so helpful!