240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Door handle repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:56 PM

Door handle repair

My passenger door doesnt open from the outside any longer. After doing some research,

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...r%20handle.gif

I realized that I needed to tighten the adjustment nut as it was too far from the lever. After some work with a tiny screwdriver, I got the nut close enough to the lever to actuate it, but I realized that my door handle is actually broken. Lifting the handle doesnt not pull up on the remote control rod.

https://www.futurehax.org/owncloud/i...2qCK12MevlgnNw

You can see on the right just above where the spring piece is, theres a sharp, flat part of metal. That should be attached, and controlling the remote control arm.

I see that the handles are symmetrical. Theres an unused spot on the left of the handle for the remote control arm to attach, but the arm itself is on the right.

Im thinking I may be able to swap the passenger and driver side handles, which would put the broken passenger right side on the driver left side where it would be unused. Its super late here and I wont have time to get to it for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had done this, or if Im just going to need to get a new handle?

Also, how the hell do I actually get into the door enough to get at the handle? Do I need to remove the glass?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Pez

I wish I could help more specifically... I dont think you need to remove the glass, but you need to remove the inner armrest, the escutcheon around the inner handle, and the window crank (after you roll up the window). Once that is done you can remove the inner wall of the door. Carefully as there are 40 year old brittle plastic parts that hold it on.

That should get you the most access to the guts of the door, you will be able to tell pretty quickly if you need to remove the glass, which isn't that difficult.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Well, I think Ive got to admit defeat on this one and take it into the shop. I cant get the window crank off, too many of the plastic tabs are already broken, and the door handle nut on the side closest to the motor is nigh unreachable. Going to see what the shop will charge me to swap the handles.

While I was in there though, I saw some metal pieces rattling around in the bootom of the door.

https://zcardepot.com/interior/door-...g-oem-s30.html and a big washer were just hanging out down there.

I also found the part on the passenger side armrest that i am missing on the drivers side. Its a small house shaped plastic clip that holds the chrom finisher over the arm rest mounting points. I havent been able to find a replacement on any sites yet, any idea what this guy is called?

https://www.futurehax.org/owncloud/i...DFcybGcHRjIvnC
Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM

I think it isn't likely that you find these parts in stock at Nissan Inc. I would check out recyclers at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and find one with that whole Z model or possibly just a whole door on his lot. Negotiate for the parts you need, send him marked up photos, get photos in return, maybe even drive there if he is close. The parts are small enough to ship easily. Of course, he will want to sell you the whole door. But I think the best repair you can do at this point would be done with OEM parts from a recycler who will part out what he has.