240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

body shop and surface rust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 AM

body shop and surface rust?

hey everyone ,
i don't really know how much does it cost to repair the body from surface rust and paint job price?

any idea how much would it cost to do that, because i suck at repairing by my self,
any ways i went to maaco and i've seen what they did to the car and its amazing job that they did, so should i go there?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM
The Good Twin

Rust repair is never cheap, and it's always worse than it looks.

So the question really is... how fast do you want to spend?

Pics of rust in question?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Rust repair is never cheap, and it's always worse than it looks.

So the question really is... how fast do you want to spend?

Pics of rust in question?
i can't really take a pic of it its only from the inside where the extra tire set it located other than that the body of it is beautiful, i have a budget of 1500$ monthly to spend on my car to make it look good performance, interior and exterior
Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Pez

Originally Posted by dubai280z
hey everyone ,
i don't really know how much does it cost to repair the body from surface rust and paint job price?

any idea how much would it cost to do that, because i suck at repairing by my self,
any ways i went to maaco and i've seen what they did to the car and its amazing job that they did, so should i go there?
I have no first hand experience, but of the people I know went to Maaco, they all claim to have received only what they paid for, which is an inexpensive paint job. Personally, I would look elsewhere.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM

A professional body shop with a good reputation will cost you more but give you better work. Always ask to see a paint job they just did. There will be one or more on the lot waiting to be picked up by their owners. There's your example of how good they are. You can get a total price for the rust they can see (wait for that to grow...), other body work and the final paint job.

I asked that at a local Maaco and they showed me a brand new paint job they just finished that day. Drips, splatter all over, streaks, missed areas, worst paint job I ever saw. I never went back.

The price from a pro will be high, even more if they think it's an insurance claim, so be sure to tell them right away that you have to starve your dog and your cat to save up for it. Price should be a lot lower if they know you have to pay out of pocket.

While they are doing the body work, expect a phone call asking you to go there to see the new rust they discovered. $$$! But when it's all done, you should be happy. Shop for the best work and price, though. You will be amazed at the range of the estimates you get - and at the 'quality' of the work they do for that much money!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
A professional body shop with a good reputation will cost you more but give you better work. Always ask to see a paint job they just did. There will be one or more on the lot waiting to be picked up by their owners. There's your example of how good they are. You can get a total price for the rust they can see (wait for that to grow...), other body work and the final paint job.

I asked that at a local Maaco and they showed me a brand new paint job they just finished that day. Drips, splatter all over, streaks, missed areas, worst paint job I ever saw. I never went back.

The price from a pro will be high, even more if they think it's an insurance claim, so be sure to tell them right away that you have to starve your dog and your cat to save up for it. Price should be a lot lower if they know you have to pay out of pocket.

While they are doing the body work, expect a phone call asking you to go there to see the new rust they discovered. $$$! But when it's all done, you should be happy. Shop for the best work and price, though. You will be amazed at the range of the estimates you get - and at the 'quality' of the work they do for that much money!
i do agree with you to a point, but not every maaco is the same, been through all shops in denver area with good reputation and a line of cars most of them will do it for 400$ pain job and extra 100 for rust issues its not a big shop its a neighbor hood shop that most people from that area goes so ill see what happens with the car and if turned good ill keep it, if not ill go to someone else,
Old 07-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Sure, a local Maaco or other shop could have a great painter on staff when you show up - but you will be buying body work and rust repairs, too. You should be checking for quality and price in all those areas.

Other items you could care about: Years of experience of those working on your car, welder's skills, filler type and hardness, paint mfr and quality, number of applied coats, base, color and clear, warranties for work appearance and durability. You could also ask to be called back in to the shop for inspections at different stages, body work finished, prepped for painting, etc., etc. I mean, it's great if the car looks terrific the day you pay for the work. But will it still look that way when you decide to sell it... and MOVE UP to a Z31? Only you can control that - if you act now! Be diligent!

I think you're going about this the right way, though. Keep the faith, bro! Just get that Z to the point where them Hondaleros run away when they see you coming. You'll get your money's worth right there!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-21-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Sure, a local Maaco or other shop could have a great painter on staff when you show up - but you will be buying body work and rust repairs, too. You should be checking for quality and price in all those areas.

Other items you could care about: Years of experience of those working on your car, filler type and hardness, paint mfr and quality, number of applied coats, base, color and clear, warranties for work appearance and durability. You could also ask to be called in for inspections at different stages, body work finished, prepped for painting, etc., etc. I mean, it's great if the car looks terrific the day you pay for the work. But will it still look that way when you decide to sell it... and MOVE UP to a Z31? Only you can control that - if you act now! Be diligent!

I think you're going about this the right way, though. Keep the faith, bro!
thanks bro for the cheer up
I'm going to do it the right way, I'm in school so I'm trying the best to finish this project by dec2014 ill try to add pics once i start and find the best shop and then do it the right way
Old 07-22-2014, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by dubai280z
thanks bro for the cheer up
I'm going to do it the right way, I'm in school so I'm trying the best to finish this project by dec2014 ill try to add pics once i start and find the best shop and then do it the right way
Are you from UAE?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by borini63
Are you from UAE?
yes born and raised
Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Kill the rust first, it will only spread. I have gotten decent paint work from a Maaco before, but that is the exception, rather than the rule. Stay away from shops that do mostly collision repair work, most are geared towards that and will charge you sky high. Find an indie shop that takes it time and does good honest work. It won't be as cheap as Maaco, but you'll like the results better.